Trump receives 'nice' new letter from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un

U.S. President Donald Trump received a letter from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Wednesday that followed up on their recent discussions about denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, the White House said on Thursday.

The White House is not addressing whether Trump and Kim may again meet.

"Thank you to Chairman Kim Jong Un for keeping your word & starting the process of sending home the remains of our great and beloved missing fallen!" said on Twitter. Late Wednesday, he addressed Chairman Kim in a tweet, saying he was "not at all surprised that you took this kind action". Also, thank you for your nice letter - l look forward to seeing you soon!,' the president tweeted Thursday morning.

The pledge to transfer war remains was seen as a goodwill gesture by Kim at the Singapore summit, and was the most concrete agreement reached by the two sides so far.

Vice President Mike Pence was in Hawaii to greet the returns.

But questions have deepened over Pyongyang's commitment after US spy satellite material detected renewed activity at the North Korean factory that produced the country's first intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the United States. "Today, our boys are coming home".

Interested in North Korea?

Pakistan Race Tightens on Eve of Historic Vote
In addition, the European Union Election Observation Mission (EUEOM) consisting of 100 observers will also monitor the elections. Almost 106 million Pakistanis, including more than 19 million new voters, will be eligible to cast their ballots on Wednesday.

She said that it was part of an "ongoing correspondence between the two leaders".

A second meeting between Trump and Kim has not been planned at this time, according to a person familiar with the process.

More than 7,700 USA troops remain unaccounted for from the Korea War.

Friday's transfer of the remains on the Korean Peninsula coincided with the 65th anniversary of the 1953 armistice that ended fighting between North Korean and Chinese forces and South Korean and USA -led forces under the U.N. Command.

However, Air Force General John Hyten, who commands the US Strategic Command, pointed out that North Korea has not launched any missiles since November.

The Washington Post on Tuesday reported that USA intelligence officials suspect that North Korea is continuing to build new missiles in the same research facility that manufactured the country's ballistic missiles capable of reaching the United States. The administration said those details would be worked out a later date.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.